If you want to spend a nice day in the yard or on the terrace, you can prepare natural mosquito repellent mason jar luminaries with very little effort! These luminaries are excellent at keeping annoying insects and other critters away so you can enjoy a pleasant moment outside.
To prepare an effective homemade mosquito repellent, you just have to use essential oils and about two or three other elements! Many of these oils release fragrances that naturally repel mosquitoes and other flying insects that roam your garden or terrace. Continue reading to find out how.
Essential Oils to Use in Natural Mosquito Repellent Mason Jar Luminaries
You can use a variety of essential oils such as peppermint oil, tea tree, citronella, and other citrus oils. If you don’t like these, you can try other oils such as vanilla, myrtle, etc.
All of these are very effective in repelling insects. In this complete list of essential oils, you will find many insect-repellent oils, so you can choose the aromas that you like the most.
Of course, always make sure to buy essential oils of the highest quality for the best results. Look for a brand of recognized prestige and trust.
How Long Do these Mosquito Repellent Mason Jar Luminaries Last?
It depends on the candle. Ideally, you should always have some extra candles on hand, and if you see that your candle is running low, change it.
The liquid can last for a few days, depending on the climate at your location. However, I advise you to change it every two or three days, cleaning the jars well and adding a new mixture of water and essential oils, herbs, and slices of lemons and limes. The jars should also be tightly sealed when not in use. This will help maintain the effectiveness of the solution to repel mosquitoes and insects.
Natural Mosquito Repellent Mason Jar Luminaries
You will need
- 2 glass Ball Mason jars
- Unscented floating candles
- 20 drops of citronella essential oil
- 20 drops of cedar essential oil
- 20 drops of oregano essential oil
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 4 - 6 sprigs of rosemary
- Fill the glass jar with water up to ¾ of its capacity.
- Add the essential oils and mix well. As these are highly-concentrated oils, do not add more than the amount indicated in the recipe.
- Cut the lemon and the lime into slices, and place two or three slices of each in the jar. This will add a fresh and luscious citrus scent.
- Put two or three sprigs of rosemary into the solution (depending on their size.)
- Add more water, making sure to leave room for the floating candle.
- Place the unscented candle on top.
You have now seen how easy it is to make repellent lights for mosquitoes and other flying insects.
If you plan to spend your mornings, afternoons, or evenings in the garden, on the balcony, or terrace, I advise you to take a few minutes to prepare several luminaries to repel mosquitoes and insects naturally, using your favorite essential oils.
These luminaries are a fast, natural, safe, and effective alternative to commercial, chemical-filled repellants.
As always, when using candles at home, never leave them unattended to avoid the risk of them breaking and causing a fire.
Make as many luminaries as you need to cover the area. They will also provide a very elegant and warm decoration.
If you liked this post, please share it. Save THIS PIN below to your Natural Home board on Pinterest and check it later! 🙂