Did you know that coconut oil can be the remedy you are looking for to have whiter and healthier teeth? There are many products that have coconut oil to whiten teeth, although you can also create a homemade paste with very good results.
I’m going to reveal all the secrets of coconut oil to help you get that glowing smile you’d love to wear. Of course, using this natural oil does not exempt you from visiting a dentist regularly for check-ups and ruling out any dental problems, even undergoing a whitening procedure.
Properties of Coconut Oil
Before getting into the subject, it is important that you know the properties of this oil to understand why it is so effective in making your smile whiter. Although it has many more properties, you should be interested in these four:
Coconut oil is free of chemicals and ingredients that can cause side effects.
Thus, effective whitening is achieved, avoiding the consequences that occur with many remedies and articles that promise the same effect.
It also contributes to the prevention of diseases that may affect the mouth in general, specifically the gums (such as gingivitis or even periodontitis).
In case you already have an oral disease or minor wounds such as sores, coconut oil can minimize inflammation and accelerate recovery.
Fights Tooth Decay
It also has antibacterial properties, so it can be useful if you are looking for a remedy for cavities.
Tooth Whitening Products with Coconut Oil
Toothpaste with Coconut Oil
You can find them in herbalists, specialty stores, and on the Internet.
Toothpaste with coconut oil integrates other products and oils that are very beneficial to our oral health.
They are perfect for removing some of the most common stains that can occur on the teeth, such as those caused by coffee, tea, or habits such as smoking or alcohol.
They are not as popular as toothpaste, but all those who have tried them claim that they are very effective.
In addition to being a whitening product, it has an added advantage; it helps to eliminate and prevent bad breath.
This is because they have an antibacterial effect, so they act directly against odor-causing bacteria in this area.
Another advantage of the bacterial strips is that they are very easy to use, as you only need to peel off one side and place it on the teeth.
They do not contain peroxide, so they are compatible with people who have sensitive teeth and can be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
In addition, we can start the treatment while we are doing other things to save time.
If you prefer mouthwashes, they are also available with coconut oil.
They are a good complement to daily oral hygiene, eliminating bacteria and food debris in places that a toothbrush or dental floss cannot reach.
With a daily rinse with coconut oil and extreme precautions in oral hygiene, it should not take long to see much whiter teeth.
How to Use Coconut Oil to Whiten Teeth?
If you have coconut oil, you can use it for your teeth. Some remedies consist of mixing it with other products (such as baking soda), although it can also be used without anything else.
Raw (cold) Coconut Oil Remedy for Whitening Teeth: Pulling or Extraction
The only thing you will need for this remedy is raw oil; that is, the jar of extra virgin coconut oil that you can get at herbalists or Amazon.
- As a reference measure, you will use a teaspoon. Fill it and put it in your mouth (be careful, as you don’t have to swallow it).
- Shake the oil for a quarter of an hour. Keep in mind that during this time, it will be collecting toxins in your mouth, and this tells you why you should not swallow it.
- Once that time is up, spit the oil into the sink.
- Rinse your mouth. Although you can do it with warm water directly from the tap, the most effective would be to gargle with salt water.
- The oil will have loosened the fats from your teeth, but they may not have been removed yet. Brush your teeth, and you will get rid of them.
It is possible to add a little lemon to get a better result when whitening your teeth. It is more effective, but the taste could be very bitter.
Create Your Own Toothpaste with Coconut Oil
You have already seen that you can buy coconut oil toothpaste in many stores.
But if you don’t have any on hand, or if you are not sure about the ingredients, you can also create it on your own.
Here, we are going to show you how to create your toothpaste with coconut oil, and for this, we will need two ingredients:
- organic extra virgin coconut oil
- sodium bicarbonate
However, baking soda is a somewhat aggressive product, so this toothpaste should not be used on a daily basis. With about two or three times a week of usage, it will be enough.
- Put two tablespoons of coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat until it melts.
- Once this has occurred, remove the pot from the heat and add two tablespoons of baking soda.
- We use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir the composition until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Optionally, we can add other oils to give it flavors, such as peppermint oil or spearmint essential oil.
- You now have your toothpaste. To use it, with the help of a teaspoon, place a little on the toothbrush (never put the brush into the mixture so that it does not get contaminated) and brush as you would with your usual toothpaste. Rinse well with water.
Keep in mind that this mixture will oxidize if not stored properly. It is best to store it in a glass jar that closes tightly.
Tooth Whitening Toothpaste with Turmeric and Coconut Oil
Turmeric is a spice that, besides giving a lot of flavor to our dishes, also has interesting benefits for our health.
In addition to stimulating our immune system, it fights colds and flu, regulates intestinal flora, and acts against certain infections.
It is antiseptic and has anti-inflammatory properties.
When combined with coconut oil, we can whiten our teeth while reinforcing their natural barrier against bacteria that could lead to infections and/or cavities.
To carry out this remedy, we will only need:
- natural organic turmeric
- pure organic coconut oil
If it is not too much effort, the most interesting thing to do is to buy the whole turmeric and grind it yourself at home.
The problem with the commercial turmeric they sell is that they may have dyes and other elements, in addition to only a small proportion of the turmeric itself.
- All we have to do is combine a small teaspoon of turmeric with a teaspoon of coconut oil until a homogeneous mixture is achieved.
- Brush your teeth with this composition for two or three minutes and let it sit for about five minutes.
- Finish by rinsing with plenty of water.
As for the frequency of washing, it will depend on the intensity of the stains:
– If they are very intense, brush your teeth this way at a rate of twice a week.
– If they are not, once a week is sufficient.
In addition, you can combine this mixture of turmeric with coconut oil to whiten teeth with your usual toothpaste, thus improving the hygiene of your mouth.
How Soon Should You See Results?
The time it will take for your teeth to whiten will depend on the method you have used, as well as the intensity of your stains.
If they are not deep, you should start noticing changes from the first time you scrub your teeth with a paste of coconut oil, using rinses or strips.
But if the teeth are very yellowish, changes will take time to appear. You may have to wait ª couple of weeks to see any difference.
This is in relation to the results you see, but you already know that coconut oil has more benefits in your mouth beyond whitening your teeth.
From the first application, the sensation of freshness will be immediate. In the same way, it will also kill bacteria in a jiffy.
In conclusion, coconut oil is a completely natural product without chemical elements and has no contraindications for our health.
Remember that the best coconut oil you can buy is one that is 100% pure and organic. There are many types of coconut oil, so it is important to use the best quality.
It can be used with the recommended frequency to obtain real results that are maintained over time.
But it is important that it is used in combination with other techniques, such as visiting your dentist regularly so that he or she can rule out any oral problems.
If you liked this post, please share it. Save THIS PIN below to your Coconut Oil Uses board on Pinterest and check it at any time! 🙂