Apple cider vinegar is a well-known product, and you have probably used it on more than one occasion as a salad dressing or to make many recipes.
But the truth is that it hides a series of properties and benefits that, if you knew them in more detail, you would surely consume and use it more frequently.If you want to know everything about this product, I encourage you to read this post.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar, also known as cider vinegar, is made through a process of fermentation of sugars from cider or apple juice.
This fermentation process generates malic acid or acetic acid, which is precisely the component that gives it its characteristic flavor and aroma.
This acid is present in many fruits and vegetables that we have included in our diets, such as cherries that are not very ripe, grapes, or quince.
Most of us know this liquid for its characteristic flavor and how it can enhance our dishes, but the truth is that it has very unique medicinal properties.
Surely you have also heard it mentioned by some famous person who has decided to include it in a weight loss diet. And it could also be a good remedy for weight loss.
Properties of Apple Cider Vinegar
These are the most outstanding properties of apple cider vinegar.
– High contribution of acetic acid: in the production of apple cider vinegar, acetic acid is created, the main active ingredient of the product. It is characterized by antioxidants and amino acids, in addition to a significant amount of potassium that helps to strengthen the body’s defenses.
– Low calorie: it can be very interesting to dress salads and avoid getting fat. Each spoonful contains about three calories, a minimal amount in exchange for having such a relevant flavor.
– Antimicrobial: it also has antimicrobial properties, which means that it has a certain capacity to kill some pathogens and bacteria that are very negative for our health. For this reason, it is widely used in disinfection treatments.
– It blocks part of the starch: it is capable of blocking part of the starch that reaches the body through carbohydrates, so it could be effective to some extent in controlling blood glucose levels.
– Detoxification: if you decide to include it in your diet, it can detoxify the blood and neutralize your pH level.
– High proportion of polyphenols: this quality would stimulate the immune system, acting as a protective element against oxidative stress and free radical damage.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
For our Health
In the apple cider vinegar production process, some elements are obtained that provide interesting health benefits, as is the case of the aforementioned acetic acid.
And it is precisely this acid that is responsible for the characteristic taste and smell of apple cider vinegar. It is estimated that the proportion of this acid is between 5-6%.
But it is even more beneficial if we consume organic apple cider vinegar without applying filters on it.
This element contains a substance known as “mother,” which is composed of enzymes, proteins, as well as bacteria that are very healthy for our health.
As for its vitamin or mineral content, apple cider vinegar does not stand out particularly for that, but it does provide a certain amount of potassium.
The formula for Lowering Blood Sugar Levels
Those diagnosed with type 2 diabetes will find that many of the recommended diets include apple cider vinegar.
The main problem with this disease is that the affected person has high blood sugar levels, and this is due to the inability of the body to produce insulin.
Some studies have determined that vinegar could improve the body’s insulin-producing sensitivity by about 19-34%, provided it is combined with a diet rich in carbohydrates.
Another study showed that taking two tablespoons of vinegar before going to bed could reduce blood sugar levels by about 4%.
However, there are several lines of research open to conclude the true impact apple cider vinegar has on blood sugar levels.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Hair
Apple cider vinegar for hair has been used as a natural remedy for some time now. As it does not contain any chemical elements, it will not damage your hair in any way.
If we use it for this, we can benefit from the following:
– It is a good remedy to fight split ends, to seal the hair cuticle.
– It eliminates hair tangles, leaving hair silky and in good condition.
– Contributes to scalp care, maintaining the ideal pH.
– It improves the circulation of the hair follicles, allowing the roots to grow stronger.
– It is also a good remedy against dandruff.
Counteracts Negative Bacteria
It is very likely that at some point, you have had to use an apple cider vinegar remedy to kill bacteria.
For example, it can help neutralize nail fungus, improve the condition of a wart or fight an ear infection.
It is also part of many remedies to eliminate lice, as it is thought that these insects cannot stand the pungent smell of vinegar.
References to its use to clean wounds go back thousands of years; according to the references we have, Hippocrates, more than 2000 years ago, used this remedy as a formula to clean and disinfect wounds.
Apple Cider Vinegar To Lose Weight
There are certain ingredients that are more effective than they seem to help us lose weight, such as apple cider vinegar.
I have already told you that one tablespoon has only three calories. As long as it is consumed in moderation, it could be very helpful.
It has great satiating power, something that is considered crucial when you want to start any kind of diet.
Although it is true that it is not a magic formula that will allow you to lose weight effortlessly, it is a little help that can come in handy during the process.
Apple Cider Vinegar on the Skin
It is also used to cleanse the skin, making it more hydrated and shiny.
In addition to all the properties already mentioned, this vinegar has Alpha hydroxy acids, compounds that could help eliminate dead cells that are concentrated in the dermis.
With a treatment of apple cider vinegar on the skin, we could minimize stains and be an effective remedy against cellulite.
It can also serve as an anti-aging facial tonic, and as a practical solution to acne and the dreaded blackheads.
May Improve Heart Health
Considering that heart problems are one of the primary causes of death throughout the world, there are many lines of research open in relation to their prevention.
For the time being, much research has been carried out on animals with the aim of determining whether apple cider vinegar has any effect in treating heart disease.
Apparently, its consumption could effectively reduce triglyceride and cholesterol levels, in addition to minimizing other risk factors that could lead to heart disease.
At least for the moment, there is still no relationship in which these studies can be extrapolated to humans, although the researchers have not yet thrown in the towel.
Helps Preserve Food
Now we have many ways to preserve food, but there were not so many in the past, and apple cider vinegar was one of the most effective formulas.
Some studies prove that it could counteract the effect of bacteria such as E. coli that would affect food to the point of having to throw it away.
It acts against these bacteria, preventing them from proliferating. At the same time, we will achieve that the food we are preserving has a very special flavor.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar
In many recipes
Apple cider vinegar can be the perfect complement to a wide range of recipes.
If you make a lot of salads and/or you want to lose weight with them, do not hesitate to add a little splash of apple cider vinegar. You will give them flavor, in addition to taking advantage of its satiating effect without increasing the calorie intake significantly.
Not only does it work as a dressing, but it can also be the key ingredient to enhance the flavor of a sauce, meat, or fish.
Many experts recommend the consumption of certain foods on an empty stomach, as this way, you can take full advantage of their properties without being diluted in any way.
Apple cider vinegar, when consumed on an empty stomach, could help reduce triglyceride levels and even bad cholesterol.
It has also been shown that it can be a good remedy to combat indigestion, gas, or bloating.
But be careful with this; the high proportion of acetic acid could irritate our stomach. It is therefore recommended to dilute it if it is to be taken on an empty stomach.
It is a good solution to mix it with water and, if you want, add a little lemon juice in order to reinforce the vitamin C in the organism first thing in the morning.
On the Skin
We have already talked about the benefits of apple cider vinegar on the skin, but it is very important to know how to apply it.
I recommend you be very careful with this, especially if you want to use it on your face. Like all vinegar, it is acidic and could cause skin irritation.
The way to use it on the skin or face would be as follows:
- You should dilute it in a ratio of one part organic apple cider vinegar to three parts water.
- Test it first on a small part of the skin to see if it reacts well on the skin. Use a cotton ball or a disc for this purpose.
- After application, do not leave it on for more than five minutes before rinsing.
- It is more than advisable to start this treatment at night since the sun’s rays could come into contact with the vinegar, raising the skin’s sensitivity.
Tip: you can apply a product such as almond oil or aloe vera. In addition to minimizing the aggressive impact of vinegar, we also benefit from the advantages of these elements.
On Your Hair
You also know the great benefits that apple cider vinegar has for hair, but in its application, it can be the same as on our skin; it can be too aggressive to apply directly.
Therefore, it is important to dilute it by following these steps:
- We will need two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar (which will be about 30ml) and a cup of water.
- We add the liquids to a spray bottle.
- We lather and rinse with our conventional shampoo and then spray the product.
- Gently massage into the scalp, following a circular motion, so that it penetrates better.
- Let’s stand and rinse. Avoid leaving any product residue.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Bicarbonate
Combining vinegar and baking soda, we can create a natural remedy to eliminate toxins, avoid infections, and purify our kidneys.
Both products have opposite pH, so it is possible to consume the beverage without problems.
You can follow these steps to create it:
- You will need one glass of warm water, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of baking soda.
- Mix all the ingredients together and make sure the water is not cold, as this could cause liver damage.
- Drink 1-3 glasses a day, at least one hour before the next meal.
If you want to keep your body in good condition, take this mixture on an empty stomach.
Plants can also benefit from apple cider vinegar in the following ways:
– It helps to keep certain pests away from the plant (such as ants or flies).
– By adding some vinegar to the water, we can increase the availability of minerals in the soil, such as iron.
– Some natural predators of plants, such as rabbits, deer, or cats, hate the smell of vinegar, so we can use the product as a natural repellent.
– It is part of the remedies to remove fungi and weeds in areas where we do not want them to grow.
Disinfect the garden tools. If any of them has a pest or foreign bacteria, with this vinegar, we will avoid transmitting the problem, and they become a source of infection.
Adding 2 tablespoons of vinegar with two tablespoons of sugar in 1L of water will create a mixture that will extend the life expectancy of your plants.
Which Apple Cider Vinegar to Buy
First of all, always look for quality, organic, and certified vinegar that does not contain artificial additives (colorings, flavorings, or preservatives), as well as no added sugars.
Avoid those labeled as “apple-flavored,” as this indicates that the vinegar has not been made with apples or apple juice.
When you buy apple vinegar or apple cider vinegar, you can find:
- Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. It contains the cloudy substance known as “mother,” which is made up of probiotics (protein strands, enzymes, and beneficial bacteria).
- Filtered apple cider vinegar. Here its “mother” and other sediments have been removed, resulting in a clear amber-colored product. Because of this, it is believed to have fewer health benefits.
Contraindications and Possible Side Effects
These are some of the side effects of apple cider vinegar:
– It is important to dilute it if we are going to consume it, as it could cause damage to the esophagus, teeth, and mouth.
– It may also reduce potassium levels in the body and weaken bones.
– Consult your doctor beforehand if you are taking diuretic drugs or digoxin, as this could greatly reduce potassium levels.
– Be very careful when integrating it into a weight loss diet and always respect the quantities.
If you liked this post, please share it. Save THIS PIN below to your Apple Cider Vinegar board on Pinterest and check it later! 🙂